10 Foolproof ways to lead a healthier lifestyle this 2017
As we enter the New Year, many of us promised to commit to a healthier lifestyle as part of our New Year’s Resolutions. Sticking to a resolution is easier said than done, but as long as we have a plan to fall back on, it shouldn’t be as daunting or as difficult as it seems. To help us out, here are 10 foolproof ways to ensure that we live a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Following these simple steps will ensure that you can make the most of 2017 towards a healthier and happier you.
1. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- The health benefits of eating a diet with generous servings of fruits and vegetables are endless. Not only are they dense sources of a variety of essential minerals and nutrients, they are generally high in fiber which will keep your digestive system happy and smooth-running. Pro-tip: fruits and veggies have unique antioxidant properties depending on their color. Eat the rainbow!
2. Go for regular check-ups.
- Don’t leave your body to take care of itself. We all need a little help sometimes, and your doctor’s job is to ensure that everything is in tip-top condition and to provide solutions when needed.
3. Stay stress-free.
- While diet and exercise are very important in leading a healthy lifestyle, your mindset and attitude may be sabotaging their benefits. Stress can affect your sleep, your tendency to engage in unhealthy behaviors, and your productivity. Ensure that your lifestyle is as stress-free as possible by organizing your financial and work life; create a long-term financial plan to alleviate financial pressures and increase your financial security.
4. Avoid foods high in saturated fat and simple sugars.
- Swap out your white bread for wholegrain, and use canola or olive oil instead of butter in your cooking. Complex carbohydrates give you slow-release energy which will keep you energised throughout the day, and unsaturated fats will promote healthy cholesterol levels, keeping you trim and combating fatigue.
5. Find an exercise program you enjoy.
- It is no secret that exercise gives you more energy, helps keep your head clear, and keeps you in shape. Find what you enjoy and stick to it! If you hate jogging, try dancing. If you don’t like exercising alone, look to join a basketball or frisbee team.
6. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
- Give your body a well-deserved break, so that it can re-energize and prepare itself for a happy and productive day.
7. Ditch your unhealthy vices.
- Smoking, drinking, or consuming too much caffeine is toxic to our bodies. Replace your unhealthy habits with healthier ones, such as exercise. If you are struggling to give up smoking, join a program that offers support and guidance.
8. Make time for friends and family.
- Social interaction is essential to human well-being. Appreciate the supportive people in your life and invest in the meaningful connections that will ultimately lead you to a happier lifestyle.
9. Stay hydrated.
- The common recommendation for water intake is eight 8-ounce glasses a day. Drinking a sufficient amount of water promotes healthy skin and will prevent headaches and other symptoms of dehydration. Additionally, for those of us trying to lose weight, a common sign of dehydration is the feeling of hunger despite having eaten adequately. Drink up!
10. Set and track fitness goals by using apps and devices.
Having fitness goals is a sure fire way of ensuring happiness; overcoming hurdles, whether small or big, can increase your confidence. One fitness app that helps you track your progress and remind you to hit some benchmarks is Philam Vitality Active, a free mobile app that allows you to enjoy immediate and free rewards such as free cinema ticket, free game of bowling to name a few, upon completion of your weekly goals. To experience a whole new journey to being fit and healthy.
You may download the Philam Vitality Active app now available in Apple Store Phils or Google Play and sign-up using the promo code “liveactive”.